Cadillac automobiles, which began operation in 1902, joined J.L. Freed in 1926. The newly formed Pontiac division, which had been known as Oakland, was added in 1931 and replaced the Hudson and Essex brands. J.L. Freed now had a product line that would remain unchanged for decades. The J.L. Freed building remained at Susquehanna Avenue, but underwent several renovations.
The two Freed brothers remained partners until July 1st, 1941 when Lester purchased the interest of Warren. The company was incorporated with Lester as president. Warren remained an active officer in the company until his death in 1968. Lester’s son-in-laws, Raymond Godshall and Wellington Nyce joined J.L. Freed in 1948 and 1951, respectively.